Being human means you know all about slander and false accusations. Kids do it, teens do it, and even adults do it. And yes, it hurts despite the famous words, Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.
Our three natural responses include:
1. Accuse back.
2. Blow up and loudly protest.
3. Attempt to vindicate ourselves.
For some reason, those just don’t seem to do the job. So what do we do?
The seventh Psalm provides some insight. David, the king of Israel, has been the recipient of slander and false accusations. And it hurt. So what does he do? Let’s break it down into three parts.
1. He turned to God. Growing up we sang a song with the words “take it to the Lord in prayer.” So easy, yet not always our first choice.
Psalm 7:1 (ESV) O Lord my God, in you do I take refuge;
save me from all my pursuers and deliver me,..
2. He told God how he felt. David knew in his heart that he was not guilty of the accusations. Yes, God already knows, but it will help you immensely and will also reinforce to you the lack of validity in the false accusations. One of the results will be less emotional hurt. That’s what prayer does. It allows God to bear some of your pain.
Psalm 7:3-4 (ESV) O Lord my God, if I have done this,
if there is wrong in my hands,
4 if I have repaid my friend with evil
or plundered my enemy without cause,
3. Finally, David trusted God. There was really nothing he could do, but leave it in God’s hands.
If you will do all three, you’ll feel better. I love the way David finished.
Psalm 7:17 (ESV) I will give to the Lord the thanks due to his righteousness,
and I will sing praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High.
I am Mike Henderson, pastor of New Hope Church, husband of my best friend, and proud father of five. I like to hike with my wife, golf with my kids, play basketball, read books, and start new projects. My purpose for this blog is to help people and to give people hope.
Practical Strategies for Reading and Studying the Bible
Blessed with Stability
The Power of WHY
Perseverance for One More Season
Even the Best Can’t Win Without Help!
An Epic Comeback
Pride Goes Before Destruction
H.O.P.E. Can be a Reality